The US Passport Card application must be filled out by yourself. You need to be a citizen of the United States to apply for a US Passport Card. You may apply if you have a regular passport, but you can also follow the passport card application process if you do not have a regular passport. You do not need to apply for a US Passport Card if you travel internationally if you already have a regular passport. But you might want to apply for a passport card anyway if you travel frequently by land or sea to and from Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the Caribbean because the passport card is wallet size, which makes it more convenient to carry than a regular passport.

Passport Card Application

The regular passport is good for all international travel by land, sea and air. The US Passport card is limited to northern and southern US border countries that you enter and return by land or sea. If you want to apply for a US Passport Card and you already have a regular passport book and if you meet the eligibility requirements to use Form DS-82, you may apply for the passport card.

To be eligible to use Form DS-82, your current passport cannot be damaged and you must be able to submit it along with your passport card application. (It will be returned to you.) Your passport must have been issued to you at age 16 or older and within the last 15 years. It also needs to have been issued in your current name; if not, you need to provide an original or certified copy of your legal name change.

If you want to apply for a US Passport Card and have never had a passport or do not otherwise qualify to use Form DS-82, you need to apply in person and fill out Form DS-11. Whichever way you apply, by mail or in person, your US Passport Card will be mailed to you, if you are approved, by First Class Mail.